Independent Living Program
We help figure out what your barrier is to living independently and develop a step by step plan to overcome it. Examples include:
- Tangible projects like ramps, bathroom modifications
- Navigate through other programs like Medicare, Medicaid, VA, Social Security Disability
- Get involved in social and recreational opportunities
- Practical solutions from someone who shares similar disability
- Learn your rights under the Law
This is a short term program, with the focus being on education so each person can learn skills needed to be successful in overcoming a barrier to independence as well as make informed decisions on his or her own behalf.
Nursing Home Program (Project OUT)
- For Someone living in a nursing home who can successfully move back home
- For Someone on brink of moving into a nursing home
- Program puts together necessary modifications to home, find other accessible housing and put day to day living help in place to make it a long term success.
In-Home Care (Self Directed Care)
- Goal is to keep you living at home.
- Provides help with various day to day activities, such as hygiene, getting dressed, cooking.
- You get to pick who you want to come to your house to help with these things and when they come.
Rural Transportation Voucher Program
- For someone with a disability who can’t drive
- Can use program to go where you would if you drove yourself.
- Can use for necessities, work, school, recreation, leisure and social, religious attendance
- Transportation is provided by Public Transit and Volunteer Drivers of your Choice
Independent Living Loan Closet
WSIL maintains a Loan Closet for use by anyone with a disability who needs specialized equipment. The equipment is loaned to an individual on a short term basis, while we work with our consumer and other resources to address the barrier on a permanent basis. The Loan Closet has items such as canes, crutches, walkers, hospital beds, bedside commodes and wheelchairs which are loaned as available. WSIL gratefully accepts tax-deductible donations of equipment or funds to contribute to the Loan Closet inventory.